GET THE INSIDE TRACK -
A LOCAL'S ESSENTIAL GUIDE
TO THE RED DOOR…
Everyone who comes to stay at 52 Clichy will receive a VERY detailed document about how to find me containing everything you will need to arrive, relaxed and unstressed at our RED front door, including the 2 different security door codes. Please don’t phone me to say the door codes don’t work on the blue door – that means you are at 52 Avenue de Clichy!
The Paris transport network is fabulous, efficient and you have lots of transport choices : No time – take a taxi. No luggage – take a train or walk. Lots of luggage – take a bus. You may also find the Paris RATP Transport website useful.
ARRIVING AT AN AIRPORT :
Taxis : will cost maximum €50 from the airport. This is a forfeitary amount so even in the morning rush hour the price won’t change and the journey normally takes 30 minutes. Or pre-book a shared taxi on http://www.wecab.com/en for €35.
Airport Buses :
– Roissy CDG : the bus goes from terminals 2 B-D every 15 minutes and arrives at Opéra which is minutes away on foot so walk up the hill or take a 5 minute taxi ride for which the minimum fare is €7.50.
– Orly : jump off at the Denfert Rochereau stop and then take the local N° 68 bus.
– Beauvais : Are you sure it’s worth it? The shuttle bus costs €17 per person, takes 90 minutes at least and drops you off at Porte Maillot. If it’s open, walk straight to the Relais de Venise restaurant, have steak & chips then get a taxi.
Airport Trains (the R.E.R.) :
– Roissy CDG : The RER B will bring you to Paris in 35 minutes. Hop out at the Gare du Nord (now read ‘Metros and buses’ below).
– Orly : The RER C train takes you to Invalides in 30 minutes. Change here for metro line 13 to Place de Clichy. Or the Orlyval shuttle will take you to the RER B train. Change at Chatelet for the metro line 14 to St Lazare.
ARRIVING AT A TRAIN STATION
Taxis : will cost between €10 – 15 from any station, the minimum fare is €7.50. Don’t think you can avoid the queue, the taxis not in the queue (especially at the Gare du Nord) try to charge €75 – €100 for the journey !
Metros and buses :
– Gare du Nord / Eurostar : Walk, it takes 30 mins max. Or jump on a N° 54 bus (especially if you have luggage) and get off at Place de Clichy. Or take metro line 4 / line 2 to Place de Clichy.
– Gare de Lyon : Metro line 14 (has elevators) to St Lazare.
– Montparnasse station – Metro line 13 to Place de Clichy.
ARRIVING BY CAR :
The closest car park is http://en.neoparking.com/paris/parking-gare-saint-lazare-p23 It is half the price of other municipal, secure car parks in Paris if booked in advance. It is under St Lazare station. Leave it there as you don’t need a car in Paris unless you are here in August when the roads are empty or if you have a disabled sticker – there are lots of disabled parking spots everywhere.